I must say, as much as I hate getting home after 8:00 (I’m working 12-8 at my rotation every day this week), I am loving having so much time in the mornings. Today I woke up at 7 am sharp and hit the gym. It felt so good to start my day off with a good workout; I miss being able to exercise in the morning. It gives me energy to get me through the day and I don’t have to worry about it when I get home and I’m tired.
I’ve sort of been slacking on strength training lately and I’m not really sure why. I think I just got sick of it and jumped on the cardio train. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, since cardio is essential for fat loss, but I can’t completely neglect weights either because I want to build muscle. Today’s total body workout was just what I needed to bring back strength training without completely skimping on cardio:
- 1 mile run
- Lateral raises 3 sets x 12 reps
- Incline dumbbell press 3 sets x 12 reps
- Bent-over triceps extensions 3 sets x 12 reps
- Alternating bicep curls 3 sets x 12 reps
- Bench step-ups 3 sets x 12 reps (each leg)
- Lat pull-downs 3 sets x 12 reps
- Straight-arm pull-downs 3 sets x 12 reps
- Seated calf raises 3 sets x 20 reps
- Crunches 3 sets x 20 reps
- Leg raises 3 sets x 12 reps
- Side bends 3 sets x 15 reps (each side)
- 15 min elliptical
I know it sounds like a lot, but keep in mind that I did the whole routine using super sets and triple sets to save time and increase the calorie burn. It probably took me around 45 minutes or so to do all of the lifting. I think I’ve fallen back in love with strength training again .
Since I’ve gotten used to eating within 45 minutes of waking up, I was absolutely starving when I got home! Breakfast came in the form of an Everything Bagel Thin with egg whites, muenster cheese and strawberry jam:
This bagelwich never gets old .
See ya later!