Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Mikey Goes Under the Knife

Man, the past few days have not been very fun.

It started on Saturday when I got really horrible stomach pains at work, which ended up being some kind of stomach bug and got worse as the night progressed. I didn’t get any sleep on Saturday night and had a fever on Sunday morning. I ended up calling in sick to work for the first time ever and stayed in bed all day. I went to work yesterday, but I still don’t have much have an appetite. I’m hoping this passes soon!

But anyway, enough about me – I have some news about Mikey that I want to share. It started a few days ago when I noticed that he had vomited some kind of elastic string from one of his toys. He was acting fine and eating normally, so I didn’t think much of it. Well, yesterday when I came home from work I discovered that he had vomited up his breakfast, and when I fed him dinner he didn’t even eat half of it. This is totally unheard of for him because normally he does not mess around with food. He typically wakes me up in the morning to feed him and can’t shovel it in fast enough.

He ended up vomiting two more times throughout the night and when he didn’t touch his breakfast this morning I knew something was wrong. I made an appointment right away and took him in to the vet first thing this morning where they did some blood work and took a couple of x-rays. His blood work was normal, with the exception of a few abnormal values that could be explained by dehydration and vomiting. Upon going over his x-rays though, the veterinarian found some gas bubbles in his small intestine that she said were not normal. Given his recent history of vomiting up a piece of a toy, she said that she was concerned enough to recommend surgery. Unfortunately you can’t see foreign bodies on x-rays unless there is metal attached, so there is no way to know for sure unless we open him up.


I have been going to my vet for years – I even used to work there when I was in high school – and I know that they would never recommend something so drastic unless the doctor really thought it was necessary. I really didn’t see any other option. Even if they don’t find anything, at least I know that I did everything I could to help.


My little guy is in surgery right now and I’m praying that everything goes well. I have all the confidence in the world in my veterinarian, and I’m really hoping they do find something because it would explain his odd behavior. I hope to have him back home this afternoon or tomorrow! I can’t believe how easily worry sets in when your pet is sick. I completely broke down at the vet when she brought in the anesthesia consent forms. He’s my little baby Sad smile.

I’ll be sure to update you all on the blog, but for more frequent updates you may follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. Thank you all for your support!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...